For more than 25 years, I worked within the law enforcement sector as an elected sheriff for Flagler County, Florida and as a prosecutor and investigator in New York.
As an elected sheriff, I successfully managed a team of 275 employees and a $25 million budget. During my eight years as sheriff, I successfully restructured and streamlined the management staff and organization saving 5% of the total budget that was reinvested into personnel training and salary increases.
In addition, I managed the design and construction of a 3,000 square foot district office, a 35,000 square foot operation center and a 270-bed inmate facility expansion. Each facility was constructed under budget with more space than projected collectively saving 1.3 million dollars (5% of total budget).
Under my leadership, we transformed the organization technologically by upgrading our software and servers, implementing a paperless crime reporting system and introducing body cameras to our patrol division. Body cameras were effective in increasing accountability to line deputies and reducing complaints and use of force incidents from the public.
As sheriff, I was a passionate advocate for the medical marijuana amendment that was approved by 71% of the voters in the November 2016 election. l lobbied the Florida House and Senate for a legislative alternative to a Constitutional amendment.
Prior to being elected as sheriff, I have also successfully created a real estate development company using my management, real estate, and legal skills while working with the local municipalities to obtain approvals for residential and commercial uses. As part of my real-estate experience I am also a licensed realtor.
I am an avid golfer and sports enthusiast with a passion for politics and pancake creations on Sunday morning for my family.
Flagler Attorney – admitted to Florida Bar in May 2005
2005 – 2012, 2017-Present (7 years): Palm Coast, FL
Managed the land use approval process of four multi-million dollar commercial / residential projects for a total value of around $50M and worked with school district to obtain approval for new charter school
- Represented on a pro bono basis 10+ spousal abuse victims to help receive restraining orders, obtain child custody, and finalize divorce proceedings
- Practiced law in the areas of real estate, business law, trusts and estates, employment law, family law and criminal law
- Appointed as the counsel of the Portuguese Consulate in Palm Coast,FL
Deputy Town Attorney
Town of Babylon
1988 – 1996 (8 years): Babylon, NY
Formed first commercial garbage carting district by consolidating volume of commercial businesses, issuing request for proposal, and awarding business in order to standardize rates and reduce cost
- Developed first commercial recycling facility in New York by raising $25M in municipal bonds
- Restructured and streamlined land use planning and approval process, halving time needed to receive land use approval
- Oversaw staff of 20 attorneys, paralegals, and outside counsel to handle all state and federal litigation of 100+ cases per year
- Negotiated two union contracts covering 1,200 employees and served as negotiating team lead
- Reorganized the human resource department and created a disciplinary process by implementing objective review standards that required promotional testing for all 1,200 Town of Babylon employees
Deputy Counsel - Industrial Development Agency
- Led the re-financing of $100M in municipal bonds to upgrade the municipal solid waste system and restructure agency debt
- Oversaw Small Business Administration lending to encourage growth and relocation of small businesses to the Town of Babylon