For more than 25 years, I worked within the law enforcement sector as an elected sheriff for Flagler County, Florida and as a prosecutor and investigator in New York.
As an elected sheriff, I successfully managed a team of 275 employees and a $25 million budget. During my eight years as sheriff, I successfully restructured and streamlined the management staff and organization saving 5% of the total budget that was reinvested into personnel training and salary increases.
In addition, I managed the design and construction of a 3,000 square foot district office, a 35,000 square foot operation center and a 270-bed inmate facility expansion. Each facility was constructed under budget with more space than projected collectively saving 1.3 million dollars (5% of total budget).
Under my leadership, we transformed the organization technologically by upgrading our software and servers, implementing a paperless crime reporting system and introducing body cameras to our patrol division. Body cameras were effective in increasing accountability to line deputies and reducing complaints and use of force incidents from the public.
As sheriff, I was a passionate advocate for the medical marijuana amendment that was approved by 71% of the voters in the November 2016 election. l lobbied the Florida House and Senate for a legislative alternative to a Constitutional amendment.
Prior to being elected as sheriff, I have also successfully created a real estate development company using my management, real estate, and legal skills while working with the local municipalities to obtain approvals for residential and commercial uses.
I am pursuing a career in general management leveraging my executive, legal and law enforcement background combined with my passion for creating efficiencies and problem solving within an organization.
I am an avid golfer and sports enthusiast with a passion for politics and pancake creations on Sunday morning for my family.
Flagler County Sheriff
Flagler County Sheriff's Department
November 2012 – January 2016 Palm Coast, FL
• Introduced body cameras for all road and corrections deputies resulting in reduction of civilian and use of force complaints
• Implemented a data-driven, proactive community policing program to effectively allocate resources within the county to prevent crimes from occurring, resulting in 10% reduction in crime
• Oversaw transition to complete paperless filing of all reports and ticket writing as well as upgrade of Computer Aided Dispatch system to handle 180,000 calls per year and re-trained all 275 employees on new systems and procedures [found $0.5M in extra modules / capabilities in contract]
• Created performance management system including monthly dashboards of key performance metrics per employee and instituted annual evaluation of all FSCO employees
• Developed incentive-based pay increase program to reward employees for performance, education, and seniority; negotiated and received approval from union to implement program resulting in 10% pay increase for all employees, first raise in five years
• Managed design and construction of three major facilities increasing projected space of FSCO Operations Center by 40% while staying within budget, doubling number of inmate bed space and saving $1M in projected cost, and negotiating city precinct lease to one third the original cost while moving to more central location
• Lobbied on behalf of numerous criminal justice reform bills with state legislature resulting in passing of civil asset forfeiture reform bill and inclusion of medical marijuana amendment on upcoming ballot
• Saved $1M on annual budget of $25M each year and oversaw annual government budget negotiation with County Commission, City Council, and District School Board
• Achieved statewide law enforcement re-accreditation of 275-person agency from the Florida Commission on Accreditation and communications accreditation for the first time in history of Flagler County Sheriff’s Office
Attorney – admitted to Florida Bar in May 2005
2005 – 2012 (7 years)Palm Coast, FL
• Managed the land use approval process of four multi-million dollar commercial / residential projects for a total value of around $50M and worked with school district to obtain approval for new charter school
• Represented on a pro bono basis 10+ spousal abuse victims to help receive restraining orders, obtain child custody, and finalize divorce proceedings
Prudential Real Estate
2005 – 2012 (7 years)Palm Coast, FL
• Assisted in sale and lease of 160,000 sq ft commercial development in city center
• Brokered $7M land purchase for large box retailer by identifying site location and assisting in approval process
• Identified and assembled large box retailers for three 50+ acre commercial projects in order to facilitate land purchase by site developers
Flagler County Sheriff
Flagler County Sheriff's Dept
November 2001 – November 2004 (3 years 1 month)Daytona Beach, Florida Area
While serving as Sheriff from 2001 to 2005, I established the Community Oriented Policing (COP) policy, which promoted proactive policing methods such as consistent patrolling and communication in our neighborhoods and coordinated neighborhood watch groups with the patrol officer assigned to the area. I encouraged youth programs such as PAL and used criminal statistics to find where crime was being committed in order to plan extra patrols. This policy resulted in a 15% reduction in the crime rate during my term even while the population grew by 40%.
Established a swat team, a traffic enforcement unit, a drug enforcement unit, a gang unit and an anti-crime unit as part of my proactive methods to upgrade and increase community protection and awareness of a strong police presence in Flagler County.
Having a strong background in leadership, business and budget management, I also implemented a zero-based budgeting policy that required each department head to submit a budget based on actual need and made each department head responsible for adhering to their budget.
I also created a Palm Coast Precinct and a Hammock Substation so that deputies could be deployed closer to the communities they served rather than having to travel up to a half hour from Bunnell.
Another highlight of my previous administration was the pursuit of a teamwork approach to all law enforcement agencies serving the community, which resulted in good working relationships with the State Attorney's office, the FBI, FHP, FDLE, ATF and the other municipal police departments.
Deputy Town Attorney
Town of Babylon
1988 – 1996 (8 years)Babylon, NY
• Formed first commercial garbage carting district by consolidating volume of commercial businesses, issuing request for proposal, and awarding business in order to standardize rates and reduce cost
• Developed first commercial recycling facility in New York by raising $25M in municipal bonds
• Restructured and streamlined land use planning and approval process, halving time needed to receive land use approval
• Oversaw staff of 20 attorneys, paralegals, and outside counsel to handle all state and federal litigation of 100+ cases per year
• Negotiated two union contracts covering 1200 employees and served as negotiating team lead
• Reorganized the human resource department and created a disciplinary process by implementing objective review standards that required promotional testing for all 1200 Town of Babylon employees
Deputy Counsel - Industrial Development Agency
• Led the re-financing of $100M in municipal bonds to upgrade the municipal solid waste system and restructure agency debt
• Oversaw Small Business Administration lending to encourage growth and relocation of small businesses to the Town of Babylon